Manager, Data Analytics
VillageReach works with governments to solve health care delivery challenges in low-resource communities. Our programs focus on increasing access to quality health care at the last mile, or the point at which services are delivered. We develop and implement new ideas and approaches to ensure vaccines and medicines are available, increase the capacity of health workers and ensure they have access to data to improve health. Our work improves the lives of more than 20 million people in sub-Saharan Africa. VillageReach is headquartered in Seattle, WA with offices located in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Malawi and Mozambique.
VillageReach’s Data Analytics Team is a dynamic and growing team of public health and digital solutions specialists housed within the Global Technical Team. This position will be based at the Seattle headquarters office. Our work comprises many of VillageReach’s systems-oriented analytics initiatives that cut across the organization’s program portfolio. Examples our work include: establishing robust data for management (D4M) practices within government structures and projects; designing and testing compelling and decision-oriented data dashboards and visualizations; and capacity building within VillageReach and across government partners to promote a culture of data use for decision-making.
The Manager position will provide technical assistance and thought leadership to projects and partners in the areas identified above as well as engage with VillageReach Program Leads to build internal team capacity so that they can leverage analytics to identify, replicate, and scale best practices more effectively.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time.
- Design and lead in-depth data analytics efforts across multiple programs, particularly in Mozambique and Democratic Republic of Congo, to support optimization of program strategies, implementation and routine operations;
- Work with the team to identify, test, develop and implement data dashboards using a multiplicity of context-appropriate tools (Excel, Power BI, Tableau, SuperSet, etc) in order to promote use of routine data for decision-making;
- Project management oversight and coordination on specific workstreams within large programs or leading programs, as applicable
- Design and implement data analytics and visualizations capacity building activities within VillageReach
- Conduct business, product, trends, and market research on digital solutions and data analytics, synthesizing information and communicating key insights in conversation, documentations and presentations to VillageReach management, technical team leads, and program leads;
- Work closely with technical team lead to identify, develop, and pursue new opportunities with a specific eye toward the power of data analytics for solving complex healthcare deliver challenges at the last mile.
The following competencies reflect what is expected of all VillageReach employees; including examples of how one might demonstrate each of these competencies in one’s role.
- Personal Motivation and Drive: Is self-directed in one’s approach to work, but asks for help when needed; holds oneself accountable; undertakes self-development activities; seeks to build and master new skills; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities within the organization
- Collaboration & Effective Communication: Establishes and maintains effective relations with coworkers, partners & stakeholders and external parties; works collaboratively with others to accomplish organizational and team goals and objectives; works actively to resolve conflicts; expresses ideas and thoughts effectively; selects and uses appropriate communication methods and maintains meaningful communication with virtual coworkers and other parties to keep them informed
- Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion: Takes personal responsibility for and supports others across the organization in creating and sustaining a diverse work environment where individuals are welcomed, valued, respected and supported; personally committed to attaining cultural competency including self-awareness of one’s own attitudes about culture and cross-cultural interactions; exhibits the willingness and ability to engage openly and respectfully around issues of race, colonialism, identity and culture; upholds equity in access to sharing of information, ideas, and opportunities throughout VillageReach
- Commitment to Excellence: Produces a high output of work, both in terms of quality and quantity; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; monitors work to ensure quality; has a personal commitment to the mission of VillageReach
- Solution Orientation & Innovation: Focuses on results and desired outcomes and how to best achieve them; gets the job done; sees opportunities for creative problem-solving while staying within the parameters of good practice; sees old problems in new ways and has novel approaches to solving those problems; contributes original and/or resourceful ideas to their area of responsibility; is able to consider and articulate risks and consequences of proposed innovations and factor these into decision-making.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position will have supervisory responsibilities and will carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; monitoring performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education & Experience:
- Master’s degree in Public Health, Health Informatics, Health Economics, Computer Science or a related discipline;
- A minimum of 5-7 years of global-health and/or data sciences related experience; experience working in low and middle income-countries on public health/digital health programs and research highly desirable;
- Ability to manage multiple diverse and competing tasks in a fast-paced environment by setting priorities and understanding how to leverage resources across the organization;
- Exceptional analytical capability and the ability to integrate qualitative and quantitative information to generate insights and develop innovative solutions;
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize and absorb various types of data and evidence, especially pertaining to health access, technology adoption, and related public health fields;
- Proficiency with Tableau and Microsoft Office, including strength in advanced Excel and Power BI-based modeling and analysis;
- Willingness and fast-paced ability to learn and implement use of digital analytical tools;
- Established cultural competency in partnering with racial, cultural and linguistically diverse groups;
- Demonstrated understanding of challenges with working in rural, underserved and low-income context; experience living in and/or working in a low-income country a plus;
- Ability to work collaboratively and collegially in a small and geographically dispersed-team, demonstrating a willingness to see problems from various points of view;
- Ability to navigate and be comfortable with ambiguity and a fast-paced, changing environment;
- Professional fluency in English required; fluency in French and/or Portuguese strongly preferred;
- Ability to travel internationally up to 20% each year.
Environment and Physical Demands
VillageReach has no private offices, employees work in a shared, open environment with task and conference rooms accessible to employees for privacy and meetings. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet. Due to the time zone differences between our Seattle office and our Country Offices and location of other global staff, US based staff are expected to be available for early morning meetings starting at 6am. In addition, our global HQ and Country office staff are expected to be available for late afternoon/evening meetings up to 6pm.
This role will spend the majority of time at a desk, sitting, using a computer and mouse.APPLICATION INFORMATION:
This is an immediate hire and therefore resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis until filled. To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter [plus any other desired materials] to our online portal: http://www.villagereach.org/join-us/
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY & INCLUSION:
VillageReach is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer committed to workforce diversity. We believe that diverse, equitably weighted perspectives foster an organizational capacity to create novel solutions that improve health in the most underserved and hard-to-reach areas. To align our values, innovations and impact, VillageReach is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse global workforce.