VillageReach works with governments to solve health care delivery challenges in low-resource communities. Our programs focus on increasing access to quality health care at the last mile, or the point at which services are delivered. We develop and implement new ideas and approaches to ensure vaccines and medicines are available, increase the capacity of health workers and ensure they have access to data to improve health. Our work improves the lives of more than 20 million people in sub-Saharan Africa. VillageReach is headquartered in Seattle, WA with offices located in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Malawi and Mozambique.
VillageReach invites qualified candidates to apply for a temporary hire position of Manager, Data Analytics. This temporary full-time employment will be for a period of approximately four months to back-fill for parental leave. The Manager position is based in the Seattle headquarters office of VillageReach and reports to the Director and Lead, Global Technical Team. The Manager, working in collaboration with global and Seattle-based staff, will play a key project management and coordination role for existing programs and support the development of new business opportunities. Additionally, this position will assist in the documentation of evidence and program learnings across existing programs in VillageReach’s portfolio across sub-Saharan Africa. The successful candidate will be a person motivated by mission, by a highly dynamic and entrepreneurial environment, and by the understanding that her or his contribution can and will impact the success of VillageReach.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time.
- Provide support to health systems strengthening programs across VillageReach’s strategic areas and geographies, including, but not limited to, developing reports and tracking milestones and deliverables to support optimization of program strategies, implementation and routine operations;
- Facilitate improved networking, knowledge management, and collaboration among global and country staff, including developing, documenting, and disseminating lessons learned, best practices, and case studies.
- Develop PowerPoint presentations or other collateral for oral presentations, as needed, with strong attention to formatting, consistency, and graphic layout;
- Other duties as assigned by the program and group leads.
New program development
- Work closely with management to identify, develop and pursue new opportunities for VillageReach with a specific eye toward innovation opportunities;
- Contribute to proposal and grant development including; conducting background research, generating new ideas, and writing proposal and grant narratives.
- Manage multiple proposals/projects at a time and adhere to strict deadlines.
The following competencies reflect what is expected of all VillageReach employees; including examples of how one might demonstrate each of these competencies in one’s role.
- Personal Motivation and Drive: Is self-directed in one’s approach to work, but asks for help when needed; holds oneself accountable; undertakes self-development activities; seeks to build and master new skills; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities within the organization
- Collaboration & Effective Communication: Establishes and maintains effective relations with coworkers, partners & stakeholders and external parties; works collaboratively with others to accomplish organizational and team goals and objectives; works actively to resolve conflicts; expresses ideas and thoughts effectively; selects and uses appropriate communication methods and maintains meaningful communication with virtual coworkers and other parties to keep them informed
- Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion: Takes personal responsibility for and supports others across the organization in creating and sustaining a diverse work environment where individuals are welcomed, valued, respected and supported; personally committed to attaining cultural competency including self-awareness of one’s own attitudes about culture and cross-cultural interactions; exhibits the willingness and ability to engage openly and respectfully around issues of race, colonialism, identity and culture; upholds equity in access to sharing of information, ideas, and opportunities throughout VillageReach
- Commitment to Excellence: Produces a high output of work, both in terms of quality and quantity; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; monitors work to ensure quality; has a personal commitment to the mission of VillageReach
- Solution Orientation & Innovation: Focuses on results and desired outcomes and how to best achieve them; gets the job done; sees opportunities for creative problem-solving while staying within the parameters of good practice; sees old problems in new ways and has novel approaches to solving those problems; contributes original and/or resourceful ideas to their area of responsibility; is able to consider and articulate risks and consequences of proposed innovations and factor these into decision-making.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position will have supervisory responsibilities and will carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; monitoring performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education & Experience:
- Master’s degree in Public Health, Health Informatics, Health Economics, Public Policy or a related discipline;
- A minimum of 5-7 years of global-health and/or international development related experience; experience working in low and middle income-countries on public health/digital health programs and research highly desirable;
- Ability to manage multiple diverse and competing tasks in a fast-paced environment by setting priorities and understanding how to leverage resources across the organization.
- Writing and analytical skills. Superb writing skills and the ability to assemble, distill and analyze all necessary information for decision-making and presentations. Strong data analysis and research skills. The ability to translate complicated research methods and findings into layman’s terms for ease of understanding and applicability. Experience writing articles for major journals.
- Problem solving and creative thinking skills. Ability to collect and analyze data quickly and efficiently. Ability and confidence to identify and recommend creative solutions to a diverse group of stakeholders. Identifies both opportunities and needs for change. Ability to identify issues or problems and provide a respective solution that is feasible and acceptable to the local context. Explores and shares innovative best practices with others.
- Established cultural competency in partnering with racial, cultural and linguistically diverse groups;
- Demonstrated understanding of challenges with working in rural, underserved and low-income context; experience living in and/or working in a low-income country a plus;
- Ability to work collaboratively and collegially in a small and geographically dispersed-team, demonstrating a willingness to see problems from various points of view;
- Ability to navigate and be comfortable with ambiguity and a fast-paced, changing environment;
- Professional fluency in English required; fluency in French and/or Portuguese strongly preferred.
Environment and Physical Demands
VillageReach has no private offices, employees work in a shared, open environment with task and conference rooms accessible to employees for privacy and meetings. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet. Due to the time zone differences between our Seattle office and our Country Offices and location of other global staff, US based staff are expected to be available for early morning meetings starting at 6am. In addition, our global HQ and Country office staff are expected to be available for late afternoon/evening meetings up to 6pm.
This role will spend the majority of time at a desk, sitting, using a computer and mouse.
This is an immediate hire and therefore resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis until hired. To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter [plus any other desired materials] to our online portal: http://www.villagereach.org/join-us/
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY & INCLUSION:
VillageReach is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer committed to workforce diversity. We believe that diverse, equitably weighted perspectives foster an organizational capacity to create novel solutions that improve health in the most underserved and hard-to-reach areas. To align our values, innovations and impact, VillageReach is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse global workforce.